Video games with jazz music that I know of:
- Simcity 3000 (Straight-Ahead)
- LA Noire (Noire? Lounge?)
- Fallout 3 (Swing)
- Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2 (Golden Oldies, Swing, Pop, etc)
Anybody know of any other game soundtracks? Simcity is what got me into jazz, shut up.
While we were up north I had a couple of strange reminders of my adolescence. My favorite game of All Time Ever Ever is Myst III: Exile, the third in the classic puzzle game series, Myst. It was beautiful, strange, immersive, and, well, mysterious. It meant a lot to me as a kid to see storytelling unfold through art and journals, not to mention that books are literally portals to other worlds. Riven, the sequel to Myst, isn’t far behind Exile in beauty, I was just horrible at the puzzles and the game is notoriously stump-worthy.
But look what I found!
When we went to Cornerstone Gardens in Sonoma, this was my favorite installation. The water and the path leading to the weird structure immediately reminded me of Upper Survey Island in Riven. There are other particularly gorgeous pieces to this spot, but the cage struck me as a part of Riven, too. One of the game’s themes is imprisonment, and you encounter cage structures all over the damn place, guarding linking books and even holograms.
Riven: Monoliths on Survey Island
And at one point, my boyfriend and I went to what I accidentally mentioned to my friend as “Goodwill Hunting” (shut up). I found several awesome little treasures at a thrift store, including these little lights that totally reminded me of an odd flower in Exile. This flower also grows on a vine, and will light up in the game once you capture an electric manta ray inside it with water.
Exile: Water bulb plant in Edanna
It even has spikes!
I hate deciding what to make for dinner. I mean, I hate the cooking part, too, when I don’t know what I’m doing (which is always). But I tend to either sit in front of our tiny pantry, open the fridge/freezer 5 million times, or trove Yummly for recipe inspirations.
It so happened last night that I came upon three different items we had: herbed breadcrumbs, Trader Joe’s middle eastern flatbread, and a bunch of cheap frozen fish fillets. This is what I came up with:
Spiced Honey Lime Fish Tacos (Sans Anything Remotely Mexican)
- cooking oil
- 1/4 to 1/6 of a cabbage head (thinly sliced strips)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup or so of flour
- 2-3 tblsp of garlic & herb breadcrumbs
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1/4 cup or a little less of mayonnaise
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- paprika and red pepper to taste
- 3-4 fillets of white fish
- (4) whole wheat flatbread, warmed, or whatever the hell you want, I’m not a soup Nazi
- Cut/grate cabbage and carrot. Throw unceremoniously in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix mayonnaise, honey, lime juice, and spices. Make sure to really stir out the lumps in the mayonnaise with the lovely, soul-wrenching sound of metal on ceramic.
- Combine sauce and veggies. Stir, stir, stir.
- Defrost and dry fish with a paper towel or something fancy that I didn’t do. Sprinkle flour evenly on both sides of fillets. Then sprinkle breadcumbs over.
- Pour cooking oil in a pan, enough to cover the entire bottom. I strongly suggest a spatter cover. Heat on medium.
- Fry those fishies. I can’t give you a good estimate here, because I suck at frying and fish takes varying amounts of time depending on the type. I’d say at least 5 min on each side.
- PUT ALL THAT SHIT ON SOME FLAT PIECE OF BREAD. Fold and shove it in your mouth. If it’s too dry make some extra honey sauce and drizzle. Mmm.
- Serve with a margarita if you’re Californian.
Note: My best friend made a more elaborate version of this years ago when we were roommates. Deep-fried tilapia and eye-watering/nose-running honey-spice sauce, yep!
Hurray, I’m on a new web host! Took awhile to get everything properly set up but it seems all right now. Oh, boy, I can talk to nobody on the Internet again!
Today I’ll be busy applying for another job (required 3 a week), shopping, and packing for SCA camping.
Have a rat to tide you over.
Boyfriend got in a car accident yesterday, was sent spinning across the entire freeway, and emerged without a scratch. So, that’s terrifying. Also, he’s borrowing my car for now. Woo, stuck at home even more!
Now that that’s out of the way, hi. It’s been a week since I’ve posted and it will probably stay that way. The previous post will be continued at a later date, and for now I’m keeping up with RP, which is a bit of daily creative writing. I will still try to post once a week with [more] interesting things. Crafting, cooking, art?